Frieze New Writers Programme
Bergen Kunsthall arrangerer skrivekurs i samarbeid med frieze. Søknadsfrist 24. februar 2023.
I samarbeid med det anerkjente kunstmagasinet frieze magazine, inviterer Bergen Kunsthall til et tredagers intensivt skrivekurs. Kurset er gratis, og intensjonen er å støtte kunstkritikk og den offentlige diskursen rundt kunst i Norden.
- Skrivekurset vil foregå i Bergen 14.–16. april 2023.
- Kurset er åpent for uetablerte skribenter og kritikere over 18 år fra hele Norden. Reise, kost og losji dekket.
- Deltakernes arbeid vil få tilbakemelding på sitt arbeid av redaktører i frieze, med mulighet for publisering på www.frieze.com
Søknadsfrist: 24. Februar 2023 (ved midnatt CET)
Full utlysning og krav til søknad (på engelsk) under.
Apply to the 2023 Frieze New Writers Programme
Bergen Kunsthall is excited to co-host Frieze New Writers in Bergen, a 3-day free art writing course, led by editors of Frieze magazine. With this project, Bergen Kunsthall aims to support art criticism within the Nordic countries and strengthen the infrastructure for discourse. Writing and publishing are vital areas of an ecology for critical thinking in the arts. Without public reflection and debate there can’t be artistic, curatorial and institutional progression. The course is an opportunity to start transnational dialogues and contributes to continued efforts to amplify diverse voices within the art world and to develop strong critic voices.
Are you a new writer looking to develop as a critic? Interested in exploring different approaches to writing about art and searching for tips on how to get published? Applications are now open for the 2023 Frieze New Writers Programme in Bergen, Norway: A free-to-attend, three-day intensive course taking place from 14–16 April 2023, where a group of aspiring writers will have the opportunity to develop their skills with support from the frieze editorial team and our wider network of art-world professionals.
A series of workshops will offer practical advice on how and where to pitch, interview techniques and what makes a great profile or review. Gallery and studio visits will give participants insights into the art world and the people who shape it.
The course is open to emerging writers over the age of 18 from across the Nordic region, which includes Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden. All participants will have full expenses covered, including travel, food and accommodation.
Each participant will have their work edited by editors of frieze, with an opportunity for their work to appear on frieze.com.
The deadline for applications is: 12 midnight (CET) Friday 24 February 2023.
Read on for details on how to apply.
This initiative is part of Frieze’s wider commitment to amplifying diverse voices within the art world. Frieze is committed to practicing anti-discrimination including race, gender and disability, together with artists, writers and cultural practitioners from all backgrounds.
If you have any further questions, be sure to check out Frieze’s FAQ page.
- The course is free-to-attend and applications are open to all aspiring arts writers based in the Nordic region (Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) over the age of 18.
- Writers should have published no more than three pieces of art writing in English.
- The course will take place in Bergen from Friday 14 April to Sunday 16 April
- The course has been devised to take place in person; if you have access needs, please let us know in your application email so that we can discuss them with you.
Applicants should submit:
- One unpublished piece of writing, no longer than 350 words. This should be a review of a recent art exhibition or an individual artwork.
- A 150-word statement about why you are applying to the course and what you hope to gain from it.
- Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Frieze New Writers 2023’ and your full name.
- Emails should include your full name, address and telephone number with country code. The texts can be submitted either in the body of the email or as an attachment. We accept .doc .docx .txt and .pdf formats.
- The deadline for submissions is: 12 midnight (CET) Friday 24 February 2023. Entries will not be considered if submitted after this deadline.
- We will let participants know whether they have been selected by 10 March 2023.
- We regret that we are not able to give feedback on unsuccessful applications, though you will be notified if you are not selected for the programme.
Participants will be selected by members of the frieze editorial team and a curator from Bergen Kunsthall.